Knowledge Base

Short-Term and Long-Term Rentals

Category: Short Term Rental

The City Council adopted an ordinance regulating short-term rentals in Kirkland in October 2017. The ordinance, O-4607, defines short-term rentals as a rental lasting for less than thirty days, as opposed to long-term rentals, which are defined as those lasting 30 days or more.

The ordinance primarily applies to single family residences. Multifamily residences are generally governed by the rules of the individual complex.

Residents should be aware, however, that the City of Kirkland requires business licenses for any commercial transaction, including all short-term and long-term rentals (including multifamily residences).

The first step is to register with the State of Washington Department of Revenue. Helpful information on how to do so can be found on the Department of Revenue site.

You will then need to apply for a City of Kirkland business license. For short-term rentals, you will also need to complete a short-term rental form. Information on how to apply for a City business license can be found on the Kirkland Business License page.


Updated 12/24/2020 10:20 AM
Was this page helpful? Yes No
Thanks for your feedback!