Knowledge Base

Do I need a permit for free speech activities?

Free speech is a protected class of activities which includes conduct for the sole purpose of which is to communicate political or religious ideas. No fee or donation may be charged or required as a condition of participation in or attendance at such activity. Expressive activity does not include fairs, festivals, concerts, performances, parades, athletic events, fundraising events, or events for entertainment.

A Special Event Permit is required
for activities which are publicly attended and held in whole or in part upon publicly owned property or public rights-of-way, or if held wholly upon private property, will nevertheless affect or impact the ordinary and normal use by the general public of public property or public rights-of-way within the vicinity of such activity. Call the Special Projects Coordinator at 425-587-3347 for more information.

For impromptu Expressive Events (i.e. free speech events such as candlelight vigils) intended to be held on public property on an evening or weekend and for which advance coordination with the City for permitting is not feasible, we ask that the event organizer notify the City by contacting the Kirkland Police Department non-emergency number at 425-577-5656.

Updated 12/24/2020 10:30 AM
Was this page helpful? Yes No
Thanks for your feedback!